Wednesday 7 November 2012

Planning the Electrical Circuits

Mr.Percy has already a functioning electric system. There is a reasonable leisure battery with 110 Ah capacity, and it is connected through a TEC3M relay to the main battery. The seller had already demonstrated the water pump, which worked fine. There are also two 12V ceiling lights, but only one of them is working. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the wiring for the second light is not connected. These lights give not a very pleasant light, and they probably use a lot of power. Therefore I decided that I would put LED lighting in the vehicle.

Maplin had a set of LED strip lights on sale, so I got three of them, including the extension. Each of those would use a total of 2 A at 12 V, which would actually be quite significant. But I tried and ran them at 9V only, and this worked fine, reducing the power requirements by approximately half.

The cabling appears not to have been done very professionally. In my opinion, the cable width is far too low; one would need good thick cables to avoid voltage drops. I am planning to redo most of the electric wiring, once I have some more time.

eBay has a lot of vendors which sell very interesting devices: combined volt/-amperemeter, voltage stabilisors, thermometers, etc. I purchased a few things, many of them quite cheap from Hongkong, Taiwan, Singapore, and China.

No comments:

Post a Comment