Wednesday 21 November 2012

First Long-Distance Drive - and Fixing the Noise

I had to drive to Stansted Airport, to catch a flight. A great opportunity for some long-distance driving on the motorway, driving through the rainy night. But I noticed again immediately that strange annoying noise: it began already at 40 mph, then got louder with speed, and above 50 mph was note bearable. I did slow down, let trucks and lorries pass me, and was wondering what that noise was about. It seemed that the whole vehicle was vibrating: the window pillars next do the driver door had this inherent vibration too, which I felt when I touched them. Was it something in the drive train? Rolling along in "N", and the noise did not disappear.

I stopped several times to check, looked at the tyres, tried to identify the source of that loud resonance noise. Then, at a stop at a McDonalds, I suddenly realised what the reason was: the roof bars. Inherently, those bars seemed to cause some noise. And the fact that one of the bars was only attached by two screws did cause that loud vibration. The bars only came with 6 screws total. I stuffed some bubble wrap into the space between the bars and the vehicle roof, and when I drove again, the noise was much subdued. Still a bit, but I finally could drive with 70 mph without my ears falling off.

Then I had a well-deserved break at 3am - and had my first meal eating on the table within MrPercy.



No comments:

Post a Comment