Saturday 8 December 2012

More Fixing of Things

Since I had begun to investigate the 12V circuits, I have always been bothered by that electric connection of the water pump to the 12V from the main car battery. First, it should be connected to the leisure battery, so as not to drain the car battery. And then, the connection of all those cables is on the vehicle floor, not far from the gas bottle. In my view an unacceptable hazard. So I removed this part of the wiring and replaced the +12V line from the car battery with that thick red cable that I had bought. I figured out how to route it through the cupboard into the wardrobe, where all the 12V electrics now comes together. Now, after I replaced this, a clean properly colored red cable makes the connection between the car battery and the leisure battery. I removed the -12V wiring that was attached to the vehicle halfway to the back, and also removed the pump wiring which had simply be connected to this. The pump will get its own fuse-protected circuit.

I also fixed the gas cylinder with brackets at the wall. Before it had just been standing, subject to any movement and not attached to anything. Another hazard is that this gas bottle compartment is not sealed - there is a gap between the board which constitute the side towards the passenger / living area. I will have to seal this, to keep gas away from there. Also, the compartment does not have a floor vent, which is necessary for safety, in case gas leaks out. This will have to be fixed too, but I am a bit hesitant to drill holes into the vehicle floor...

Another thing that had bothered me was that the rear lights had two white reversing lights, but only the right one was working. I decided to fix this and opened the left rear lamp case. I was surprised to see that only blinker and rear / brake light bulbs were fitted, but two other slots for reversing light and fog light were empty. In fact, the light assembly had not even provided any space for these bulbs, which means that they never had been fitted! I decided to change this, and I drilled away the plastic part which prevented these two bulbs to be fitted. Then I inserted the "582W bulbs which I recently had bought, into the assembly. Tested it, and now I do have fully symmetrical rear lighting. Not sure why these bulbs never had been fitted - maybe there is a UK regulation that only requires one single reversing light and one single fog rear light?







No comments:

Post a Comment