Saturday 22 December 2012

Installing a Rear Lap Belt

It is the last day before the "big trip". Currently MrPercy is only equipped to "host" two people, there are only two seats in the front. But what if I want to take someone else, just for a short drive, not for staying? There is the bench in the back. But it does not have any seat belt. I start looking and find belts at Halfords. Saturday morning I go there and get one lap belt.

In MrPercy I find several of the original mounting screw holes of the rear seatbelts, in the vehicle side wall. These are the points where a seat belt must be mounted in order to be safe. Unfortunately I only find the one at the wall, but not anything on the floor for the central mount. So I have to attach the other part of the belt on the wooden frame. I am aware that this is not really safe, as in the case of a collision the seat belt mounting would not be strong enough to withstand the forces. But the other half of the seat belt I attach to the "official" wall mount. Is better than nothing. At least during a sudden breaking maneuver, whoever sits there will be fixed to the seat instead of flying through the space.

No comments:

Post a Comment