Sunday 23 December 2012

Driving in Europe

One of the first things after disembarkation in Calais is to stop at a parking spot and affix the light deflectors. This needs to be done because of the vehicle headlights are asymmetrical: when driving on the left side in UK, they shine to the side instead of the ongoing traffic. This now would create problems when driving on the right - and the lights would blind oncoming traffic. Therefore, deflectors need to be mounted to correct this and deflect the light more to the right side. These can be bought for example at Halfords.



The instructions do not show the specific pattern of MrPercy's headlights. so I need to follow the general instructions and find the base line. I hope that this is correct what I have identified...

On the motorway, MrPercy enjoys finally driving with speeds of more than 70 mph. I do not have a rpm meter, so I drive the engine with care. Even though in 5th gear, when above 70 mph, the engine appears to run at quite high rpm. And that is not very good for Diesel engines. So I kept the speed lower, but above the 70 mph mark. At one point I reached briefly a speed of 140 km/h, around 85 mph. Quite ok for old MrPercy and his 120k+ miles engine.

Shortly after midnight I reached my destination: my hometown Iphofen.




No comments:

Post a Comment