Sunday 7 October 2012

The Ads - Visiting MrPercy

A few days ago I had a look at various ads of motorhomesn in the Autotrader. And there I found a few very interesting vehicles at reasonable prices. There was a blue 2001 Renault Master van, nicely converted to a motorhome with nice specifications, for £ 2,900. But it was obviously already gone, because the seller never picked up the phone nor called back.

Then I saw the add of a 1999 Renault Expert van conversion.


The description sounded nice, and so on a Sunday afternoon I drove 2 hours to see the car. It had been standing for a while. There appeared to be some mold on the rear side windows, and I was wondering if humidity had gotten into it. But it did not smell, so this was not a concern. The Diesel engine was rattling a bit loud, the sellers said this was a Peugeot-typical problem. The overall condition was acceptable. I drove it around a block of houses, and breaks and steering felt ok. The engine seemed ok too. The conversion into a motorhome seemed a bit "home made", with wooden boards from Wickes. One of the doors fell off when the seller opened it - the hinges had come loose from the wood. Another wooden door just did not stay shut. The glove compartment was always open, did not lock. The heater fan was not functioning, so no air ventilation could be switched on. But the overall price of £ 2,200 was at the bottom of what one could expect for a functioning camper van. The black/white squared floor looked nice, and the van had the basic equipment: cooker with gas, wash basin with electric pump, leisure battery, 240V external lead.

On my way home I gave it some more thought and deliberated if I should buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment